Friday, November 16, 2007

Learning to Read and Write

We are 50 days into the school year and I am already seeing that Ella is learning so much in kindergarten! It is fascinating to watch a five year old learn to read and write. Ella displayed two interesting episode this week that I feel I want to share with those who love her.

First, she was taking a shower Wednesday morning in my bathroom as I was getting dressed for work. I could hear her sounding out letters on the assortment of bottles that were in the shower with her.

As I hear her sounding out "KKK.....Kkaaa..... CANdi.... CANdi.... CANditoner.......... Sh...Sha......Sham.....Shampoo......"

I am beaming with pride.

She suddenly calls out, "Hey! Mom, if you add a 'P' to the end of shampoo you get shamPOOP! Hee! Hee! Hee!"

I am now beaming with even more pride.

Shampoop and Canditioner and she is only 5!

Then later that same day after we finished dinner, she asked for a pen and paper because she needed to write a letter to Madi J. Madi is Ella's least favorite friend in Miss Gunther's room. She explained to me that Madi thinks that Sam is Madi's boyfriend! Well, everyone in town knows that Sam and Ella have had an on again/off again romance for over two years. Apparently, Ella thinks that the relationship is currently on again. And she told me she wants Madi to keep her hands off her boyfriend and that Madi should get herself another boyfriend. She proceeded to write this note.

In case you can't see this clearly or aren't fluent in Kid Writing, let me interpret:
Maddy Do Not touch My Boy FRieND Sam. And I MEaN it! By Ella.
She had drawn the frown face before she began writing so that Madi could tell that Ella was mad.

She then packed the note in her school folder and gave it to Madi the next day. According to Ella, Madi has agreed to get her own boyfriend now.

I am so proud of my little girl who is not only learning how to read and write but also how important it is to stand up for herself.

1 comment:

Dottie said...

Oh my! That is wonderfully funny and I know funny! You really let Ella take hate mail to school?
:-) Littlestown has their own Mafia now, The Big Boss Marley is where kids come for their treats, the Pounder Ella is who Marley gets when she needs a problem disappear! LOL