Sunday, September 6, 2009

ACE of CAKES, Jr. Edition


My girls and I all love the show Ace of Cakes on the Food Network.
So much so, that we once spent an entire school vacation day watching an Ace of Cakes Marathon. We could not pull ourselves away from the TV. We have six hours of the show recorded so we can watch it over and over again.
Duff is my Hero. He reminds me of a younger version of my own father who happens to work his skills in the kitchen creating cakes instead of in the flower shop creating floral masterpieces.
I do believe that Duff is the "Cake God.".
The god who inspired this............
WE MADE
The Cheeseburger Cake

Marley has been asking me to make this cake for three years. It is not one the Duff made on his program (his are much more creative than this), but rather one that Marley saw on the TV program Zoom on PBS when she was six. This kid has an incredible memory, she never forgets anything. When she asked again this weekend, I finally agreed to give it a try.

Much to my delight, it was far easier than I had imagined. I figured it would take us an entire day to finish. But it took far less then that. We baked the hamburger (brownie mix) on Friday night. And also made the cheese (melted Starburst), pickles and tomatoes (candy fruit slices).

Saturday morning we baked the bun (yellow cake) and created the lettuce (fruit by the foot). We put icing on each layer and assembled in no time. Marley topped it off with sesame seeds (Rice Krispies). We were finished by noon.
This allowed us to still watched the Penn State game and head out to the pool for a four hour swim.
The cake was enjoyed by our family and friends on Sunday when we returned home from the Hanover Chili Cookoff.
I am so grateful that both my daughters enjoy the culinary arts. It was a wonderful experience for me to be able to teach them and to show off my baking skills. I look forward to more time like this spent in the kitchen with my children.



2 comments:

Dottie said...

OMG, if I have to make this I am going to kill! It's so cute...great job, share the recipe site!

Angie said...

The recipe is in my childs head. Remember she has a photographic memory. She saw it three years ago and remembered. But I have seen it in several magazines over the years. I am sure a google search could turn you on to it. It really isn't hard. I encourage you to give it a try.