Thursday, August 21, 2008

Big Fish

This is Marley, Kali and Maddy sitting at a lake.

It happens to be the lake at Cunningham State Park

near Thurmont, Maryland.

We went here on Tuesday for a play date with Kali,

her brother Xander and

my college gal pal Betsy.

Betsy is far more outdoorsy than I.

But I can enjoy a day in the natural elements.

The kids enjoyed swimming with unknown creatures

in the disgusting lake

while I watched from the blanket.

Seriously, I do enjoy the outdoors.

Then Xander suggested we go fishing down stream.

The thought did not excite me,

but the rest of the gang was into it.

I went along.

I can recall having fished three times

in my entire life.

Including this time.

That means I fish once every 1.3 decades

...on average.

That is how much I love this kind of fishing.

Now if we were talking PHISHING

.....that's much different.

That I will do much more willingly.

This fishing involved digging worms out of mud

Cutting them into smaller pieces with a pocket knife

Which Marley took full control over.....Yuck!

Not sure why this surprised me.

This is the same kid who took much interest

in her dead pet fish

Checking to make sure it didn't have a pulse

before she put it in a make shift coffin.

Remember?

Marely told everyone the story of how a worm once

laid baby worms

right on her hand.....Yuck!

I had tried to put that memory out of my head.

Why are my girls

who have no brothers

willing to touch such things?

We baited hooks by piercing the worms.

More yuck.

We Casted our lines.

Ella impressed me with how quickly she mastered this task.

Betsy gave her one brief lesson and

then she was on her own.

Waiting for a fish to bite.

Marley had great patience for this.
Kali caught the first one.

Marley was so happy to get the next one.
Xander's fish.

Honestly, he is not going to throw it

The sun was in his eyes while I was trying to get the picture.

And then I got the BIG ONE.

I really was proud of myself.

And I impressed the kiddos with my skills.

That look on my face is me thinking about

having to touch the seaweed

and get the hook out of his mouth.

But it all went well.

I was able to do it.

Then I threw him back in

......literally.

So, my experienced fishing friend

explained to me how to gently place them back in.

Ooops.

I'll know better next time.

Sorry fishy.

Thank you Betsy for the invite to join your family at the lake.

We'll have to do this again sometime.

I should be ready Summer of 2018.

Just kidding.

It was really fun.

2 comments:

Dottie said...

Oh my gosh! You threw the fish back in, literally. I am laughing, that is hilarious! Cute pictures!

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.