The day before we left for the trip, I was busy preparing cards and gifts for my mother and mother-in-law. Ray asked what he should get me for Mother's Day. I reminded him that the trip was my gift. But he still wanted to get me a gift. I said to wait until we got to NYC. There would surely be something there that would wow me!
When we got to the city on Saturday, our first stop was the American Girl Store.
Then on to Times Square, ToysRUs, FAO Schwartz, M&M World and the Plaza Hotel. The girls had picked out a few things for themselves, but I had pretty much forgotten about my own gift. Nothing was wowing me.
Here we are in front of Radio City Music Hall. Ray and I noticed on the poster our front that the Jammy Awards had taken place three days earlier and that Phish had received the Lifetime Achievement Award. We thought, "How nice. Too bad we missed it. " The whole band surely had to get back together for that. We wondered if they had played anything during the ceremony.Ray was our tour guide and he led us on to Central Park. We really did not have an agenda at this point. We were just enjoying the beauty of the day and the scenery. The girls and I were singing songs from the movie Echanted. We had watched it on the bus ride and several scenes are shot in the park. Marley was asking if we could find the bridge were Giesel sings. We are walking by the exit to the Zoo. Suddenly, Ray says my name to get my attention. He then points at a man walking right towards me!
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!
I can not believe what I am seeing!
NO DOUBT! It is TREY! The lead singer and guitarist of PHISH!!!!!!!
He was walking right beside me with his daughter. I immediatley turn and follow them. My family follows me. I snap this picture of them right after Trey threw away his drink in that garbage can.
Ray wasn't satisfied with us just getting a picture. He proceeds to follow Trey. He walks very briskly with Marley by the hand. This was a moment in time when I am so grateful that my husband is not shy. Ray has the guts to introduce himself and Marley to Trey. Trey introduces himself and his daughter Izzabelle to us. We all proceed to have a lovely conversation like any regular people on the street. We learned that the band was infact all together for the Jammy Awards night and Trey had a good time. He and his daughter were at the park to visit the zoo. This is his youngest of two daughters. His daughters are also two years apart, just like ours. We didn't want to seem like goons. We just expressed our love of the band and then thanked him for many great times. I than asked for a picture which he delightfully agreed. Marley took this picture.
And this is how I got the best Mother's Day Gift ever!!!! WOW!!! My family took me to New York City were I met one of the most famous people I have ever admired. Honestly. Have you ever been asked the question that goes something like, if you could eat dinner with any five people in history who would you choose? Trey has long been one of my five! Yeah, right up there with Jesus Christ. I still can't believe this has happened.
Ray claims he had this planned all week long. Ha Ha Ha!
Now he wants to know what I am going to do for him for Father's Day???
I know I can't top what he got me.




2 comments:
cool! I Can't believe it either! Who would have ever guessed? Happy Mothers Day! I couldn't wait to look it up at home, I am using Angel's computer!
How neat! I was in NYC too on Saturday with my mom, aunt & cousins. It was a wonderful day. We went to Ground Zero first then headed back up to Central Park. I saw Spike Lee when we were on Fifth Ave, but didn't have time to get a picture. A wedding had just ended, and there were a lot of people. What a memorable day for you!
Wendy
Post a Comment